Sabine-Neches Navigation District signs $357M loan to advance deepening project

Last month, the Sabine-Neches Navigation District (SNND) signed a $357 million loan agreement to advance the deepening of the Sabine-Neches waterway, securing critical funding for a project that strengthens America’s energy future, according to a news release.

The funding, issued through the Ship Channel Improvement Revolving Fund (SCIRF), was approved by the Texas Transportation Commission in Fall 2024. This strategic investment accelerates the deepening project, which will increase the waterway’s depth from 40-48 feet, allowing larger vessels to travel through and transport more cargo.

The Sabine-Neches Waterway is a vital national asset, essential for U.S. energy exports, military mobility, and both domestic and global trade. Deepening the channel is expected to strengthen America’s competitive edge in these areas, particularly in energy exports.

“The Sabine-Neches Waterway is America’s energy gateway, and this project will help strengthen Texas’s position as a global leader in energy production and exports,” said Executive Director and CEO Randall Reese.

The deepening project is expected to be completed in just one-third of the originally projected time, with 40% cost savings and an estimated $800 million in taxpayer savings. This project will also create thousands of jobs and drive long-term economic growth throughout Southeast Texas.

“The Sabine-Neches Waterway is the backbone of our local economy, and the deepening project is essential to sustaining record economic development in our region,” said Jefferson County Judge Jeff Branick. “I applaud the Sabine-Neches Navigation District for signing the SCIRF loan agreement, which will satisfy the local cost share for the project and continue the vital work that is already underway.”

The loan agreement signing is a pivotal step in the 30-year effort to deepen the Sabine-Neches Waterway. SNND continues to collaborate with state and federal partners to ensure the project’s successful execution.

“I would like to thank the Texas Transportation Commission for helping to fund this historic project,” stated Reese. “This funding moves us closer to completing a project that delivers major returns — not just for Texas, but for the entire country.”

The Sabine-Neches Navigation District is a political subdivision of the State of Texas and the local non-federal sponsor of the United States Army Corps of Engineers for the Sabine-Neches Waterway.

The SNND responsibly manages, advocates, and improves the ship channel and navigable waters of Jefferson County to enhance the economy, environment, and quality of life in Southeast Texas.

Weber announces key funding for Sabine Neches Navigation District

May 15, U.S. Rep. Randy Weber (TX-14) announced he secured $172.7 million through the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers’ Fiscal Year 2025 Work Plan for the Sabine-Neches Navigation District, according to a news release.

The funds will be used to deepen the Sabine-Neches Waterway from its current 40-foot depth to its congressionally authorized depth of 48 feet, as authorized by the Water Resources Development Act (WRDA) of 2014.

The Sabine-Neches Navigation District is authorized to execute the federal share of the project funding, allowing faster, more efficient progress on this critical infrastructure.

Weber said it was a “great day for Southeast Texas.”

“And we are glad President Trump is back in office to prioritize critical projects like the Sabine-Neches Waterway, one of the most vital waterway systems in the country,” said Weber. “This funding will strengthen America’s energy and national security, continue to grow our economy, and support jobs right here at home. I am proud to fight for the funding our region needs to remain the commerce and energy leader for decades.”

“I want to express our deepest gratitude to President Trump, OMB Director Vought and Congressman Weber for their confidence in The Sabine-Neches Navigation District,” said Randy Reese, CEO of Sabine-Neches Navigation District. “Our entire team and Chief Operating Officer Matthew Kaufman have worked diligently for decades to prepare us to answer this call. Southeast Texas’ strength is its people, its industry and its ports. The recognition and responsibility The White House has put on our shoulders is humbling, and we will not let the nation down.”

Kaufman noted the $172.7 million in federal funding and its pivotal language authorizing the Sabine-Neches Navigation District to execute continued construction, directly utilizing federal funds, is effective and efficient.

“It will expedite the deepening of America’s most vital energy and military ship channel — all the way to 48 feet,” Kaufman added. “We will ensure these hard earned tax dollars strengthen our nation for all Americans and answer President Trump’s call to Unleash American Energy Dominance.”

The Sabine-Neches Navigation District was formed in 1909 as the manager of the Taylor’s Bayou Saltwater Barrier. Later, that designation expanded to become the local non-Federal Sponsor to the United States Army Corps of Engineers for the Sabine-Neches Waterway.

The Sabine-Neches Waterway is the second-longest inland waterway on the U.S. Gulf Coast and home to two U.S. strategic seaports — the Port of Beaumont and the Port of Port Arthur.

 

ADvertAdvertisement